Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring Break

Tyler and I decided to take the kids to Roosevelt Lake for a long weekend, to celebrate the arrival of spring. We enjoyed the sun, the beautiful lake, did a bit of shore fishing, had a lesson on cactus and enjoyed each other's company.





Poor Jacob was not feeling his best the whole trip, but he was a huge trooper and I'm glad we went even though we almost cancelled the trip because of his illness. My generous dad had let us borrow his 5th wheel and Jacob would have been extremely disappointed, so we decided he could use the fresh air and lay around in the trailer as well has our house.



Early in the week, I had noticed a spot (quarter sized) on his chin that looked like Excema. I put some cream on it and sent him to bed. The next morning, it looked scabby, more like a rug burn so I cleaned it and put some ointment on it. The night before we left, he developed a fever and the sore was looking pretty swollen, red and had grown. We took him to a walk in clinic right away and we were told he had herpes OR maybe impetigo. He was given a RX for a viral medication in case it was herpes AND an antibiotic, in case it was a bacterial infection, impetigo. My sweet mother-in-law (who is a nurse), had guessed impetigo immediately, so we went with that treatment first. I wasn't going to do two RX at the same time unless it was absolutely necessary! So we started on the antibiotic and used neosporin on the wound and took off the next morning for our trip. He continued to run a 102-103 fever off and on the entire trip and the sore turned blistery, pussy and completely gross. I was extremely worried to be truthful. The antibiotic (1st in his life) gave him a tummy ache, and we could barely get him to eat. He took several naps a day and went to bed each night right after dinner. But we had a nice time otherwise and he did have time periods that he felt ok and enjoyed the trip. We came home on Sunday, and he wasn't doing any better Monday night and had now been on antibiotics for 3.5 days, so we took him in Tuesday to a dermatologist for another opinion. Maybe it wasn't impetigo?? She thought it COULD be fungal, wrote a Rx and sent us to a Pediatrician. Ped thought it was impetigo but she thought he was on the wrong kind of antibiotic, so gave a new Rx. By the end of the day, I was so confused and upset that I started feeling like I was going to be sick! Viral, bacterial, fungal?? And a stack of Rx. I went ahead and switched antibiotics sticking to the original idea that it is impetigo and two days later, it is FINALLY showing improvement and he is eating like a horse again and quit with the naps:) That's my Jacob! He is still sporting a huge band-aid and a nasty looking scab, but it looks lots better! So what was it?? I asked this very question this morning at ANOTHER walk-in clinic this morning. He said that he thinks it was MERSA, or it would have responded to the first antibiotic after a couple days. He did also say it looked like it was under control and on the mend! I say, whatever it was, at least he is doing better!



And, after two weeks of feeling sick myself, I finally bit the bullet and took myself in. The diagnosis--a sinus and ear infection. I knew I felt yucky. ha!

An interesting start to spring!

Oh, and on a different note, my stucco should be finished by the end of next week!! HOORAY!

4 comments:

Corie said...

Poor little guy! Hope he is feeling better! I had mersa inside my nose...SOOOO painful and I felt horrible. I diagnosed myself with staph and when I went into the doctor was told, I was right. I am glad the meds worked for me, although the antibiotics took the entire week to kick in and take it away. YUCK!:(

Reeds said...

My goodness! Quite the runaround. I am glad he is doing better now. Poor kid! At least you got all that sick stuff out of your system and now you can just enjoy the spring! :)

Melis said...

Oh my, Melinda! Poor Jacob! It's always such a sickening feeling when you know something is wrong with your kid, but there are no real answers! So glad he is feeling better! Hope you're feeling better too!!!

Katlyn Papa said...

That was a crazy little situation! I am so glad he got better though!

archive