Tomorrow is the day. We have been discussing for the past year, if we should have the kids' (yes, both of them) tonsils removed. After getting multiple opinions, the EMT suggested that it be done, and even our very conservative, holistic doctor and dentist agree 100%. I am worried about it because it is surgery, with general anesthesia and medications ect ect. But, in my heart I do know it is necessary. The tonsils are HUGE. And we will see if the adnoids are too. The problems because of these large tonsils are progressivly getting worse. Both of the kids snore at night, toss and turn, and aren't getting the oxygen that they need. I have had at least 3 nights in the past 2 months of no sleep at all because Jacob is gasping for air and has stopped breathing for a few seconds. No, this isn't a normal occurance, but as soon as he gets a cold, or any type of illness, the tonsil's swell and become even bigger than they already are and so I spend the night holding him, on his side watching him breathe. Sleep apnea is not cool! Also, lack of oxygen is being linked with ADD, allergies, irritability and a whole load of other problems later in life. Jacob has allergies and slight asthma and the Ear Nose and Throat doc who will be doing the surgery, told us that this would help, if not cure his allergies. Emma has a stomache most every morning and isn't hungry until about 11:00 AM. Strange since I wake up STARVING every morning. The EMT told me this is completely typical behavior for children with large tonsils because all night the puss and drainage is filling up their stomach. SICK! He also said that is why she would be totally happy on a strickly liquid diet. It is hard for her to swollow food. He asked a list of about 15 symptoms and either one or both of the kids had every symptom. Prior to this decision, I've tried elliminating foods that they could have allergies too, I've had them on probiotics and other holistic medicines to shrink swollen tonsils, and nothing has helped enough to let it go. My kids need to breathe and they need to breathe NOW. So, 6:00AM Friday we have to BE at the hospital. Yikes. We can barely make it on time to places at 9:00. At least Tyler took several days off and will be there with us. It is always comforting to have him around. He is calm even when he is nervous. I, on the other hand, am the farthest thing from calm. Another good thing is that Tyler's mom is a nurse, and she will be there that day to recover them. Emma is actually excited at this point. She says the doctor is just going to take out her tonsils and then she gets to watch movies and eat popsicles for a week. I don't think she has thought about HOW the doctor TAKES her tonsils out.
Please, please, please, keep my kiddos in your prayers that all will go smoothly. And, maybe even their mom, because honestly, I'm freaking completely out inside.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Tonsils
Posted by melinda at 7:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Good luck Melinda! I hope everything goes well and that your kiddos will recover quickly. I'm sure it hasn't been an easy decision to have the surgery done but it sounds like they will be better off in the long run. Just think, Friday afternoon the surgeries will all be over and then you can relax a little. Kids seem to recover from things like this so fast and I bet your kids will do great. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers!!!
I was thinking about you this morning, hope everything went well!
Melinda, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers too! I am sure everything will go well for them...and for you too! Let me knowthe name of the Dr. you are using because I myself have HUGE tonsils and know I need them out...and not to mention Crew has inherited them as well (thanks for blogging all the info on the links to tonsils and ADD, the not being hungry in the morning etc....this fits both Crew & I!!!) Let me know how it goes and IF you need anything!!!
Oh, Melinda...surgery's never a fun thing but you did the right thing. Poor kiddos I hope they're feeling o.k. Kids bounce back so much quicker than adults do though and your so lucky that you can get them both done in one visit. I'm so glad you decided to do it. I will keep checking to see if you have any updates. You and your kids are in our prayers. Love ya!!
Melinda, I'm so sorry! This does not sound fun:( I hope your kids are recovering fast and are getting lots of Popsicles to make them feel better. You will each be in my prayers too.
Post a Comment